PING G400 Driver Review
PING is bringing numbers back! 2 years ago PING followed the G30 driver by releasing the “G” driver and saying, No more numbers! Well…never mind. Introduce the PING G400.
PING G400 Driver Options:
G400 LSTec – Low spinning
G400 SFTec – draw bias
Website Options and Information: https://ping.com/clubs/drivers
After hitting quite a few balls with the G400 driver using a PING Tour 65 stock stiff shaft in the 9 degree loft setting here are my opinions:
What does it look like?
VERY GOOD LOOKING
Karsten Solheim takes over at PING and is imparting some of his vision for club making along with fellow PGA Professional and PING Director of Product Development Marty Jertson Twitter: @jertybird
- Turbulator Technology: More pronounced for improved airflow over the crown
- Dragon Fly Technology: Improved airflow over crown
- Vortex: located at the back of the driver head, helps with airflow
- Dimpling: helps with airflow across head
- 445 CC Heads (Heads are identical in size SF Tec vs LS TEc)
- More Tugsten weight back and and low in the head to lower CG and to keep forgiveness high
- Club face is forged and 16 percent thinner…possibly 1 or 2 mph ball speed = 5 yards. (Something that I did see in comparisons vs. my current driver)
By the numbers:
Average Club Speed: 110.6 mph
Average Ball Speed: 163.7
Carry Distance: 274.4
Total Distance: 310.1
Average Spin: 2711
Average Launch: 10.8
I would like the spin numbers to be around 1,800-2,000 and the average launch to be 11-12 degrees. I think I could achieve this by using a heavier/stiffer shaft and a bit more loft.
- Up and down loft: 1 degree or .6 degree
- New decade multi compound come stock for grip
Tour Players “Gaming” the G400: Bubba Watson, Daniel Summerhays, David Lingmerth, Harris English, Angel Cabrera, Tony Finau
Sound and feel:
- Great…a little more “dead” with carbon material in head
What I love?
PING doesn’t vomit the whole MORE DISTANCE PHILOSOPHY down your throat. They make great products that have years of research and engineering behind each model.
I recommend you give the G400 Driver at least a try this season and I hope you are as impressed as I was!
Fairways and Greens,